Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
3. There are threads about losing power with the Gruppe M and RPI combo. Do a search across all of the BMW forums.

5. I still don't understand why you want to upgrade the cooling system. The reason no aftermarket system exists is because there's no need for one. Get one if you start having cooling problems. An AA tune won't cause cooling problems.

8/265 = 0.030

You're looking at a 3% increase in power. Until you start to see temps rise, forget the cooling system. Not necessary.

The 3.0si doesn't even come with an oil temp gauge. If you want to upgrade something, get a gauge that tells you what your oil temp is. That way you can watch it stay in the middle and smile as you think about all the money you saved.

6. Price is way too high for the bumper.

7. Why do you need larger brakes? Are you reaching the thermal limits of the stock system? Start with different fluid and pads. If that doesn't solve your brake cooling issues, then and only then increase the mass of the rotors with a BBK. Larger brakes will actually hurt performance. More unsprung weight, more rotating inertia... the car won't react as quickly over bumps... and the system is no longer OEM so it can't be serviced at the dealership. Larger brakes WILL NOT decrease stopping distances. Your tires are your limit. The only time a BBK helps is on the track, when after repeated high speed stops, the rotors start to get red hot. A BBK rotor is more massive, and thus has a greater thermal capacity. "More massive" is a bad thing any other time except when at the track, after many hot laps. They hurt performance.

Basically they will be a fancy cosmetic mod with no real use, unless you plan on doing repeated (more than 10 in a row) 140 mph to 20 mph stops on the road back to back. Treat the brake "upgrade" like the cooling system upgrade - don't do it until you have a need for it. Otherwise it's a waste.

8. Tires - why would you want to go with a smaller diameter tire size?

9. Don't get the OEM cast wheels. They are overpriced and there are much better (lighter) options out there. If you have $13000 to throw down, get forged wheels. Forged wheels reduce unsprung weight and rotational inertia. Some say for every pound you reduce off your wheels, it's the performance equivalent of reducing 10 pounds off the car. If you get wheels that are 5 pounds lighter each than stock, your car will feel like it's lost 200 pounds. Personally I think that's a bit optimistic, but you will still see noticeable performance gains. DO get forged wheels. DO NOT get any BMW factory wheels.

10. If you're going through the trouble of painting your car, get the factory aero kit. I'd paint it carbon black to be unique, but your color choice is up to you.

11. Rather than reupholstering your seats, get Recaros and have the installer put the weight sensor for the side airbag in the passenger seat. Recaros can save you 80 pounds or more.

If I was going to throw down that kind of money, I would get a limited slip differential with higher gearing ($3k tops from Performance Gearing), lightweight Recaros (depends on how much you want to spend), forged wheels ($4k), max performance summer tires ($1k), AA tune (??), and save the rest. If necessary, get the aero kit and paint the car.

Why are you so against putting a limited slip differential in the back or changing the final drive? With all of the mods you've listed, a base 3.0si could out-accelerate and out-handle it with 3.64 LSD.
Appreciate 0