03-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by philjw View Post
my car needs to pass OBDII readiness emissions tests, and I would need to have customer work done to relocate sensors or buy euro cats, and likely also need a tune,
If you do headers, you'll WANT a tune. Not necessary, but definitely a good idea to get the most out of them. Getting a good shop to weld 3 bungs on to your existing Sec1 (if your not up to doing it yourself) is no big deal. Even with Euro cats, you'll still need longer O2's. So it's either buy them both ($$$) or use what you already have. Side note: Euro cats also have twice the material of ours, but any performance increase hasn't been proven yet as far as I know. Still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjw View Post
not to mention that some still seem to have issues? I like the idea of headers, as it would enhance the sound of the car as well, but seems like this could get very pricey and complicated, no?
You'll pass readiness tests if you utilize your sensors - so no issues and not complicated. Cutting, leaving them dangling, or removing them altogether (and relying on a tune to 'turn them off') is where you're asking for issues. ESS for instance, will ask you if your sensors have been relocated. If not, they won't provide the tune - too many problems. Other tuners will say they turn them off (which in actual fact is turned low, but not off), and presto. But users have reported a host of problems with this. $0.02
Appreciate 0