View Single Post
      12-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

AutoSolutions SSK install pics

First of all, A big thanks to the people who have posted their DIY's and advice, Onebluemcm, Shipkiller, Madrussian and BillWebSpace. The install was pretty straight forward following everybody's advise. I know that if you don't have RE tranny mounts installed before you install your SSK and you plan to in the future, get them before putting this SSK in. Having your exhaust removed allows you to torque all the hardware properly.

When I was removing the u-gaiter, I found that it is much easier to do if you push it through from the bottom instead of pulling from the top.

Here are some pics from removing the exhaust...

This made for some fun when it all finally came down on top of me.

A pic of my Aeroturbine exhaust

A pic of my primary cats

The carrier pins. Easy to remove by pinching on the side and using a screwdriver to push up.

Here is how the selector rod is positioned to clear the guibo

Here are the tools I used to remove the shift rod joint (aka spawn of satan coupler). My old shift rod joint didn't have any flat surfaces so I used a pick and a small hex wrench.

here's how I hooked the shift rod joint spring clip. I made sure to place the split just next the pin. Then I worked my way around putting the shift pin in the keeper channel. This is just another way of removing this, I tried Shipkiller's method but that didn't work for me.

Right now the AS SSK is mostly installed, everything has such a tight clearance. On the new shift rod joint, I was able to muscle the pin 90% with my thumb while shoving the joint onto the ball of the selector rod joint. The last 10% went on with the help of a hammer and screwdriver.

I'm currently replacing the shift rod.

One Question, has anybody used the non chamfered bushings? I don't believe there is room for them. I was barely able to get one of the e-clips on without it (I used the chamfered bushing next to the shift rod. I don't see any way it can go on. Let me know.
Appreciate 0