11-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
@pmmjarrett, that looks really good! I was thinking of doing the same.

Do you have to remove the pieces that you want to wrap (ie: all the trim that you did on your car, did you have to remove it first??) I'd like to do the spokes and button covers like you did. If you have to remove the button covers to get the film on it, is it obvious to do so?

Is the stuff you used the 3M "Dinoc" film? (http://autovinylsolutions.com/3M_108...Fc5cMgodCnUAVw)

Is it easy enough to work with? I don't have any detailing experience per se.
Thank you. It's a pretty dramatic change. My wood was showing some bad cracking on both the dash and console and I wasn't gonna fork over $1k to BMW for new trim. Now the wrap hides the cracks but you can still see where they were a bit.

What I am using is NOT Dinoc. It's a textured Chinese wrap that I import. I have enough of this stuff in the shop right now to wrap the whole car 5 or 6 times. Mabey I should wrap my house LOL.

I removed everything I wrapped and recommend it so you can tuck the edges and not cut into stuff you don't want to cut into, like leather, with the razor when trimming it up.

I think it's pretty easy to work with and the stuff with air drain channels makes for a nice easy bubble free installation. The part with the buttons on the steering wheel was prolly the biggest PITA part I did. Plenty of vids on youtube showing how to install wraps. Just make sure the parts you are wrapping are very clean and dry. My experience for ease will be greatly different than some though as I was a bodyman back 25+ years ago and still dabble a bit in it from time to time... As well as I have more tools than Tim "the toolman" Taylor too LOL

Before

After

I took every piece I wrapped apart as far as I could to get the best look possible.

To take off the console trim, you have to take out the entire console.

On the door handle you can see how I tucked the edges and trimmed.

I even took off the handles to wrap them so you wouldn't see any tan when pushing opening the storage door.

Started playing with it a bit on the exterior, was interested on how these pieces would look wrapped vs painted body color as I'm right in the middle of prepping the car for paint.

Appreciate 0