08-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #75
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I have to disagree here re: Porsche weight. I agree that they have gone up slightly in the 'regular' cars (GT3/RS/GT2/RS not included) they are very lavish on the inside and are still more akin to GT cars in most cases. They have interior creature comforts like nav, bluetooth, ipod, and have the XX adjustable seats as well as adjustable suspension etc. They also have quality, fit and finsih that really no one else out there can touch. Those types of materials, like wrapping everything in leather adds weight. They are the benchmark when it comes to nearly every facet of sports car engineering.
I think anything 3300 lbs and under is pretty light these day. If youre 3000 lbs +/- thats extremely light. The trend of bigger cars is because people want all of it. They want a car that will do anything and everything for them, and the parts/accessories add up quickly.
As far as BMW goes...they know they arent really selling to as many true enthusiasts as other brands such as Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo are. The M cars have become just another Audi S or Merceded AMG badging non M car with M packs and making them look as close to an M without actually doing so.
The Z4M is really the last of its kind. I have owned many BMWs (e46 m3, 335i coupe, 335i sedan, e46 m3 competition, z4m roadster and now the z4m coupe all within a span of 3 years or so and also had an e92 m3 on order but canceleld) and the z4m coupe/roadster are the only cars i have really felt 'did it' for me. Nothing else ive ever driven that was available in the US from BMW every really left me with a feeling that the car was something special the way the z4m has.
To be fair BMW has done the same thing, they just have taken a funny path getting there.

Look at the e46 m3 and new 1M, if you ignore the badging or slap some m3 badges on the 1m (which due to its size/HP are the ones that really should be there), then it gives the appearance BMW has reduced size, increased power, and kept weight inline with previous models.

I will admit it's a very pecuilar way of looking at it, but hey that's how I see it.