Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
ESS VT1 455 Gen 3 Build

First of all, I have to say a huge thank you to my best bud Andy. We installed this kit in my garage. He's done a lot of work for me but this by far was the most intense build.

First of all we worked on laying the kit out and getting everything out of the engine bay that we needed to.

After getting everything out we started to install the bracket. Here was the problem we ran into. Apparently I had a Gen3 blower and a Gen2 bracket. For those of you who have installed this kit, The Gen2 bracket is a lot different. The Gen2 bracket does not have the spacers pressed in. There were no spacers in the kit.

I had to call ESS and have them overnight the spacers, as well as belt. For some reason I didn't have a belt either. Parts came in next day, I got the full bolt kit with spacers supposedly included. I open the package and no spacers...

So here's another day with my car down and no supercharger installed. Finally the spacers came the next day. We finally got the bracket installed.

After the bracket was installed we started to make great progress. Got the supercharger mounted to the bracket. We started to evaluate how the intake was going to go into the bumper. I have to say, this is such a tight fit. Started to get side tracked but then wen't back to the directions.

Installing the injectors was like surgery. Taking the fuel rail and vacuum rail was pretty easy, but actually taking out the injectors was intense. I'm not a mechanic and I'm sure he will say it was easier, but taking those clamps out looked ridiculous.

Alright, I'm rambling. So apparently you're supposed to drill the 2 holes to the rail to 8mm. We decided to not do that. Everything still fit just fine even with not drilling the holes.

Finally the injectors were installed fuel rail and vacuum rail were back on. We had to stop at that point because I had to work at 7am. But then next day we got the manifold mounted as well.

After the manifold was mounted then came all the tubing and hoses. Some of it was easy and some of it just didn't make sense from the directions. Over all though the build took a lot longer than expected. In the end though it was a good experience and i'm extremely excited about the supercharger.

The only thing I'm worried about is there's a whistle that seems to come from the bypass valve. I emailed Hans and he said to adjust the top bolt on the bypass valve. We did that but still seemed to whistle. I'm going to test the car some more today because on my ride home it seemed to be ok, but I didn't get on the throttle a lot. Here's a video of the whistle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I might just have to take it to a shop and let them look at it. Seems like it could be an easy fix, i just don't know bypass valves very well.

This is just an informational post. Not to be used for directions or any criticism, just sharing my experience with all of you. Look forward to more videos!

Enjoy!