View Single Post
      01-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Paul46
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Eventuri Intake Development and 1st impressions

(Copied from z4 forum

Hey guys, just wanted to say some words about the Eventuri kit that my other half (KatieK) has been running on her Z4MC

Firstly i want to so sorry for how long its taken for write up, but we have been on holiday for the last month, also writing a review the day after fitting a mod is not a great review of product, because you have not had time to live with it and see how it feels from day to day.

Bit of a background build up to the kit and how we ending up testing it for the guy at Eventuri, I have done a bit of testing, development and work with Imran with the CSL intake for the e46 M3, so when Bilal and Imran wanted to start the Eventuri Project i was all ears to hear what they had planned. They also know that they will get a honest opinion from us and if something is shit we will tell them, rather than blowing smoke up their ass

So the guys had 2 kits under their belt with the e60 m5 and e46 m3, and it was time for them to develop their 3rd kit, being a z4m s54 kit. Imran called me and asked me to speak to Katie about using her car for development of the new kit, of course she said yes. So it was late august and we where heading up there to have the car mapped before heading off to the ring for a week in September, before mapping started the guys wanted to show us what they have been doing with the 2 other kits and what they had planned for the z4, followed by a few test fits of parts.

First thing that was tested was OEM airflow situation with that odd upside down scoop they have behind the passenger side grill, so measurements where taken in front of the car and then another in the engine bay to see how much airflow came through. The answer was a big fat ZERO, Not a thing (we know the oem air box is a sealed unit, so will create a certain amount of sucking power but no direct ram air effect at all)

So a intake scoop from their e60 kit was fitted in place to test airflow, the scoop from this kit was fairly small , but worked great for a test purpose. There was next to no loss of airflow from the outside of the car to the engine bay, it worked a treat. After this Bilal check how the intake sat on the bay and started dreaming up mounting points in his head. So the oem air box went in and off to the ring we headed.

e60 scoop in place

kit test fitted with no heat shields and prototype cone and MAF housing

SO fast forward a month and we arranged to leave the car with Bilal and Imran for final prototyping and some testing, while they had it i got updates on all the new parts and also asked on our opinion on what we think the kit needed. One of the things Katie and myself mentioned was the mounting of the coolant overflow tube, with the oem air box in place it mounts on the air box, we said that this would need to be addressed on the Eventuri kit.

Go forward to Mid November and the car is good to go, I headed up after work to collect the car, Bilal had removed the whole kit from the car so he could give me a run down on what they had been doing

First thing he showed me was the new scoop design, the e60 scoop would have worked just fine but they wanted to reengineer a new scoop, the new scoop is as big as it possibly could be and the really tidy part is that it fits using the OEM holes and mounts, so no need to modify the plastics by drilling holes. Then there is the general shape, the other scoops we have seen on the market are basically a thin bit of tin that is folded in to a boxish shape to try and catch air. This scoop is solid, and has a super smooth curve, not a flat piece of metal like the others out there. IMO this must create a lot smoother movement of air and less turbulent flow into the intake.

New larger Intake Scoop

Next part of the kit is the heat shield, again its a very clever design cos it does a few things, it houses the intake cone, so it can then be also used as the kits mounting bracket, it bolts directly to a OEM mounting in the bay, its nicely made and finished. Doing it this way has eradicated the need for ugly bracket going off to random holes to hold the intake in place. The guys also took on board the coolant pipe we mentioned to them. On the top of the heat shield is a OEM style clip for the pipe to clip into. At this point i was already more than impressed with the thought process that goes into this design.

So then the Pre preg Carbon filter housing is the part that follows, it is a work of art, perfect weave and finish, the venturi system that it works to creates a unique shape and i would imagine a nightmare to get the finish to such a high standard. This is the real mccoy when it comes to carbon and not a cheap wet lay construction, its stunning!

The last part to the kit is the MAF housing, IMO this part is so often over looked on intake kits, the Eventuri housing started out as a part from the e46 M3 kit, but they were not happy with the fit, so they went back to the drawing board a made a new housing specifically for the Z4M kit in the time they had the car.

Bilal showed me how quick and simple it was to instal in the car before then going on to the dyno results

The guys returned the car to a stock map to test out the intake, now i have spent a lot of time around dynos and dyno tuning and i have learnt never to pay a huge amount of attention to the numbers but more the gain and loss as well as curve profile, There are just soo many variables that can effect the numbers. So i just always use them as a measure of change rather than outright power, this is just the way my head thinks about things.

So it made a nice 10 hp on this print out, but i was told during testing they did see gains of up to 15hp depending on conditions, the other thing that is also worth keeping in mind is the wind speed, these kits have a much greater effect when the car is being driven rather than being dyno tested with a fan. Personally for a bolt on part this has a great effect.

But as they say proof is in the tasting, so Bilal handed me the keys with a smile on his face and said i think Katie will enjoy the noise, now bare in mind i have a e46 m3 will a Evolve Dry Carbon air box fitted which makes a pretty epic noise, so in my head i have that as a bench mark for noise as i drive off.

Well let me tell you, what a awesome noise. I have found that the Z4M is all induction noise as standard with very little exhaust noise (the opposite of a standard e46 m3), and this intake kit work soooo well with this car. It has a very deep CSLesque growl to it, obviously its never going to be quite as loud as a CSL box, but its a damn good effort. I was massively impressed with the noise from such a small intake.

for testing purposes the intake was run on a standard map so this is a good judge on the arse dyno. The car just has the bit more get up and go, I'm not going to exaggerate things like some people and tell you its like having a charger fitted, but there is a noticeable increase in throttle response and pick up. the noise response just like the CSL box, its totally throttle load dependant, so effectively you can keep it nice and quiet and then load the engine up and it barks into life.

So my opinion??? great bit of kit, engineering and finish is 2nd to none. Performance exceeded with i would expect from any bolt on kit and its a difference that can be felt in the real world and if anything its worth it for the noise alone lol

Over the weekend KatieK will add a review to her Journal and i will add it in to the bottom of this post. I will also get the car clean and get some fresh photos on the kits and i will also get the go pro rigged up in the car for the videos which i will also add to the is thread

I hope you have enjoyed the read and take in a honest opinion of the kit and the work these guys have put into the Kit. I would like to thanks Bilal and Imran at Eventuri for giving katie and myself this opportunity not just to test the kit but give you opinion on the design. Thanks guys and best of luck to you with the new venture

Video update

Last edited by Paul46; 01-10-2015 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0