View Single Post
      04-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb
I don't like that they are front wheel drive bias. Feel like driving a front wheel drive car.
The first generation TT (MK1) had a Gen I Haldex AWD system that had some lag transferring power to the back. That was remedied with a performance controller from Haldex.

The second generation TT (MK2) uses a Gen 4 Haldex system in the 2.0T and TTRS and a Gen 2 system in the 3.2 engined cars. Both of these are superior to the first generation right out of the box and all 4 wheels always 'feel engaged' all of the time.

In addition, all MK2 TTs use a chassis that is 68% aluminum and most body panels are aluminum as well. Steel is used for the rear hatch and rear floorpan areas to help balance out the front weight bias.

The end result is a much lighter car (my 3.2 TT Coupe 6MT weighed 3180lbs with almost a full tank of gas) that handles a lot better then MK1s and feel lively. If you get the magnetic ride suspension, the sport mode all but removes the need for an aftermarket suspension. Dial up front camber and get a good alignment, and these cars can be setup to have a lot of fun on the track.

They will never feel like a Z4MC but were not meant to either. They serve a wider purpose- all year round fun in addition to track days. The Z4MC feels like it was built for track days and can be used for daily driving in 3 seasons.

I was sure my next car would be a used e92 M3 down the line. After driving a Stage 2 TTRS, I am not so sure anymore. Car availbility and my circumstances will decide now as I consider both to be at the top of my list.

For now I hold on to my Z4MC as hard as I can
Appreciate 0