View Single Post
      03-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #34
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Walk away.

I wouldn't recommend buying an MZ4 (coupe or roadster) unless I feel I absolutely have to have one. Because if you don't have that need, you will be looking to get rid of it within a year or two. The ONLY solace is, the coupe version seems to hold its value well. 8 years after production ceased and they're still easily fetching more than 1/2 of what they stickered for, and it doesn't seem like it'll depreciate nearly as fast as ANY other BMW built in the last 10 years...Probably because it DOES elicit an emotional response and connection from its owner.

Amongst the circle that I hang out with, I can easily find buyers who will drop $30K for my '06 MZ4 Coupe right now. Because to old school BMW people, the MZ4 Coupe represent one of the LAST car built by BMW that was semi-true to BMW ///Motorsports core values (the other is the E9x M3) during the 80's and 90's. But in all honesty? It doesn't have as much oomph as any of the new Ms (heck it barely has the same HP as an M235i...And Torque? forget about it). It doesn't have a back-seat. Trunk is exceedingly small in comparison. For a 3,1xx lbs car it consumes fuel like a 4,000 lbs SUV. Outside of a small circle of people who understands what it is, there's really no redeeming value to it except that it's exceptionally beautiful for a modern BMW (but that's in the eye of the beholder).

Once you get past that though...The intangibles of this car is hard to beat. The naturally aspirated I6 is incredibly responsive and pulls all the way up to 8,000 RPM like no one's business. That 32,xxxNm/º chassis stiffness means it's one of the most precise, short wheel-based cars ever produced. The E36 M3 front end and steering rack it was based on was at one time considered the greatest steering rack ever produced, and nothing BMW has made since has come remotely close to it. The sensation of sitting on top of the rear axle for track use means you know what your @ss-end is doing much better than just about any sedan BMW makes.

So. It's a "special" BMW. It truly is. But just as anything unique in the world, it requires a unique "love" for it. So I say. Walk away. If you have to ask "should I get it" you probably shouldn't. Because there are BETTER cars out there you can get today. There are better cars out there for better value. There are better cars made by BMW NOW that you can get with 4 years, 50,000 miles worth of warranty and service. None of those will you find in an MZ4 Coupe (or roadster).

What you'll find in the MZ4 is a special car, built for a special group of enthusiasts. Until you know you want it no matter the quirks...You should probably walk away.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1