12-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #60
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Six View Post
I did paint correction professionally for 25+ years in case you question this method.
I cut a length of 6" and 10" Lowes large thick paint stir sticks(the truest/straightest one you can obtain) and prep it with a some light sanding to slightly round its edges and ends.

I use it when doing fresh re-spray initial knock down with whatever grit you deem to fit the texture. In your current case you mentioned 1000#. Just cut your paper to size and wrap the stick no differently than you would a soft hand pad. It will actually make the paint look slicker than just a soft pad at all final grits alone.I call this flat-sticking. It separates the man from the boys when the job is finished ,believe me.

That makes perfect sense. I don't question it at all, I used to use paint sticks to block sand primer, never used it to cut. I'll give it a shot. Old school and inexpensive too

I have some touchup to do and need to respray the trunk lid where I fell into the paint and hit the wet Kandy with my arm when spraying the last coat and messed it up and probably wont cut and buff this car for a few months.

That's the PITA with spraying urethane Kandy vs a basecoat/intercoat kandy, If you screw this stuff up you need to let it cure about 24 hrs before you can do anything and after already spraying most of the rest of the last coat of Kandy I wasn't going to wait and have to sand the entire car AGAIN before I could clear it so I just kept spraying clear and hitting the bad spot with some kandy in the touch up gun to darken the bad spot in between coats so the urethane didn't go out of tack.

Now that I have all the jambs and inside surfaces painted I can just mask off the part I want to respray without dismanteling the whole car again. I see 3m has some foam jamb masking tape out that is supposed to give you a soft edge, I'm going to give that stuff a try. Sure looks a lot easier than folding tape and back masking.

My shop isn't temperature controlled so it'll really be up to mother nature to give me a solid week of nice weather before I do anymore paint work. For now I'll just enjoy driving her.

I want to be able to clearly read in the reflection when done. This is what I love about a urethane Kandy and a good clear. Deep and always wet looking.

The paint is highly reflexive. I was aiming for something like this and I think I pretty much nailed it.

Almost road ready. I got a lot done today, All weatherstripping is done, inside the trunk is finished, interior is completely done, doors are completely done, installed the side skirts, tail lights and rear bumper. She vil be done tomorrow ya.

Appreciate 0