08-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTexan View Post
Isn't it possible using the VIN, for a BMW dealership to pull up all of the service another BMW dealership has performed?
Yes. But folks have had mixed results in asking for another dealership to do that. It certainly won't hurt to try, and it seems to depend on the dealership. Naturally if you're buying the car there they'll be more willing to do this; or, if you have a good working relationship with them (mine did this for me, even though I didn't buy the car from him...but I've bought plenty of others there).

Basically you want to see the break-in service was done at or around 1,200 miles; and other service was done at the prescribed intervals.

On a car that should have had Inspection I done, even if there are records, they question becomes "what" actually was done at Inspection I. Many dealerships have done Inspection I but not adjusted the valves, or tried to weasel out of doing it. (Lots of threads on that around here.) So some extra scrutiny of that work is required (like were the right parts ordered and so on), and I'm not sure if that would show or not on a report pulled by another dealer. (Someone may know.) I don't think this is a huge issue, but it's something to be aware of.
Appreciate 0