View Single Post
      08-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 roadster

Hey,
I’m surprised you had issues with getting exhaust past the lollypops. There have already been a bunch of E46 swaps that use long tube headers, and the Z4/E46 suspension is identical (parts, spacing, etc.). I’m planning to initially run a set of shorty headers (hooker swap manifolds) for the initial install since they are easier/faster to setup than building long tubes. Once the car is up and running, I'll map out and build long tube headers to fit.

Even the oil pan shouldn’t be an issue as people use f-body pans to clear the E46 cross-member (I’m using an LS7 dry sump pan).
I have ditched the electronic steering and am in the process of finishing the conversion to the Z4M roadster hydraulic steering rack. That gets the last of the BMW computer out of things (I’m tossing the BMW computer out entirely). I’m also installing a GM hydroboost (with a C5 master cylinder adapted) for braking (ABS was removed over a year ago).
Do you have an actual weight comparison of the i6 vs. LS? Everything I have found puts the engines at basically the same weight (+/- 25lbs). The LS is shorter than the i6 and I’m pulling it back about 3” to hit the shifter location. So I should be shifting the weight center back some either way.

Long term, I’m kicking the idea around of converting the frontend from a strut to a SLA setup. I have a professional suspension modeling program on my computer at home which I have been doing all the design work on. If I can find some Z4M spindles, it should be relatively easy to adapt an upper A-arm and gain a good camber curve. Though, it’s hard to come up with a reason to make such a conversion when the Z4/E46 suspension already handles so amazingly.

Post some pictures of your progress. I’m shooting for Christmas time on my swap (saving up to build the motor this fall).

Chris