06-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #23
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Great project!
I know from reading enough of these swaps that the biggest issue is computer controls for the car vs. the engine.

I seriously thought about swapping an LS7 into my e90 330 and it basically came down to the fact that it would be "impossible" due to the computer issues. A local shop who is REALLY good at doing stuff like this said the "impossible" can be done, it just costs more

Good-luck!
I don't think it is impossible. I have the same plan as you. There is a member in the ls1tech forum who wired his e46 canbus system to work in the swap. He just made what he called a trigger wheel to trick the BMW ecu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8z4 View Post
I'm ditching the entire BMW ECU and running the LSx off of the GM ECU. I'm working with some guys over on Bimmerforums to create a CANBus interface that will take the GM tach/speedo/temps/etc. outputs, put them onto the CANBus, and drive the gauges/AC/etc. We think we have it all sorted out (or mostly sorted out), but none of us have a "driving" car yet to test with (we either have stock setup still/me, cars that don't run/blown BMW engine, or are in the middle of the project/pulled engine but nothing finished yet).

Worst case I am willing to ditch the factory gauges and build a new cluster around aftermarket gauges.

I believe I have seen the video about the system you are referencing. Check out bikearmblair, i believe is his name, in the ls1tech forum. He does wiring by profession and swapped an ls into his e46 and overcame the issue using both ecu's.

I have been reading a book on building a custom ls2. I hope to do as you have and stockpile parts until I can do a swap of my own. This is a great thread. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0