View Single Post
      01-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #53
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T View Post
No you don't need a 335 wtf, 265 or 275 is plenty to hook up what you need to, it's just a matter of tire selection and suspension setup. The bigger tire you put back there the more power you're losing to spin it. You'll never have traction in 1st, just ain't gonna happen unless your driving around on MT drag radials at 20psi, and that ain't happening either unless you can afford $600+ every 1500 miles. 2nd gear can be hit or miss, most likely get a small amount of spin and then you should be good. I have a 275/30/19 on the back of my Z3M Roadster, with 564whp/505wtq on 93 octane and the car weighing 2940lbs it will barely chirp in 2nd on shitty Hankook V12 Evo's. The Z4 rear suspension is far superior to that in my car, if mine can hook up on 275's, your's can as well. Tires are 50%, suspension is 50%. If someone says there's only 3 ways to increase traction and they all involve tire selection, I'm not so sure I'd pay much attention to what they are recommending. Your car is the first or one of the first to be running with boost, keep doing what you're doing. You'll find this stuff out for yourself in due time. If you don't have a proper fully adjustable coilover setup on that car, time to look into it. Don't worry about the tires for now, do some more research on that subject when it comes time to replace what you have.

-Shawn-
I DID miss the suspension portion, true. I was just talking about tire traction. In a straight line, I thought simpler suspensions hook up better (ex mustangs), and so do softer springs since they let more weight transfer to the rear.

I'm speaking from MY experience, and you're speaking from yours. In my experience, I had a Viper GTS, which ran 335mm PS2s in the back, and I could completely hook 1st gear in the summer. Thats why I'd like to run that size on my boosted z4m. But like you said, suspension plays into that so I could get a different result.

You didn't mention anything about sidewalls, and I honestly DO NOT KNOW if I'm better off with a 265/40/18 or a Viper spec 335mm in the back for better grip off the line and in 2nd gear. So I'll be quiet until I eventually try both options, and then report back here.

The z4 isn't great at laying down a lot of power in 1st gear on street tires, but I'd like to find the best solution I can. And no, that doesn't include softening up my suspension or softening up my chassis (I'm sure there are other ways, but I don't know them for this car)

I'm looking to get coilovers this season, what kind of general settings do you recommend?