Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point0 View Post
FWIW i bought my Zed as the second owner from a local audi dealer. The PO was a local too. I found at the time that the prices between the US and Canada were pretty similar not withstanding the cost of duties and mods required would have actually made an import more expensive. I bought the car last year in may.

As far as the generic small population large country issue, that is touted a lot as the main reason for price disparity, but when a local canadian business can sell product in the states for $3 a pound and the same stuff is $8 a pound in Canada, mere steps from where the business is located, you won't be seeing me buying it from the canadian vendor. There is definitely gouging going on. I wonder what the prices are like in Alaska versus the lower 48?
I guess I was more referring to US-based companies selling into Canada, which is what I am most familiar with. In no way was I implying that geographical scale should result in a price that is 166% higher like you describe, or that it is the real/biggest factor relating to disparate cross-border pricing. Rather, if the item were $3.25-3.50 in Canada, while only $3.00 in the US, it would be "reasonably" explained. That's pretty sad if a Canadian company is charging Canadians more than double what they sell for in the US.
Appreciate 0