04-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
Why?.... Because I'd rather not ruin expensive tires with a wheel alignment that wasn't done right. Having had wheel alignments at other Independent/chain shops over the years with my other cars, I have a better feeling with my dealer that it's done right....perhaps because I've met the mechanics and have a good relationship with them due the work I've done on the car myself and the chance to discuss it with them. Perhaps because the dealer has state of the art equipment.

And ... that I also believe that the TIS is right in having the
car weighted to simulate a driver in the car..... That's not going to happen at a chain or Independent....
Again, depends on the shop. Mine follows TIS specs (if asked, I don't run stock specs) and ballast and has state of art equipment. Then again they build race cars. I can think of three other indy shops, plus one independent "tire store" in the area that do excellent work as well--confirmed by any number of enthusiasts I run into on a regular basis on the street or at the track.

The thing is, independent, dealer, it's all about who--the mechanics--are doing the work. I know some pros who can do good work on toe with string, so equipment helps, but it's not by any means a promise of high-quality work.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you want "non-stock" type settings, dealers often won't play ball. Getting them to set your front camber at -3.0 with camber washers and/or plates when the TIS says "-1.0" can be problematic (assuming you want a track alignment, etc.). Some will do it, others won't (we've seen that right here on Zpost) . Again, all depends on who and which dealership (and if you know the shop foreman, and if you've left a case or two of beer in the hatch a time or two).

That's why I think asking around in an area for recommendations is always a smart idea. Dealer, indy, whatever--again, what matters is who does the work and whether it's quality work.

3002 tii is in the op's neck of the woods, tracks his car extensively, and has made recommendations before--I just found them. Here are some he gave a couple of years back. He might have more current recommendations, IDK.

Back to the original question, here's another thread that may help. It's a starting place--depends on what goals are, driving style, AutoX, track use, etc.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-24-2014 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0