View Single Post
      02-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Headrest Roll Bar modification for fabric wear - maybe check your car?

Update May 2009: Had a proper leather back made for the seatbacks. "Chatsworth Upholstery X" was highly recommend to me and I second that reccomendation now. The shop was able to match the color and texture of the OEM leather very well. I'm kind of surprised BMW did not cover the rear of the headrests in leather like this from the factory. Cost was $100 for 90 minutes labor and materials. Well worth it I think.
Attachment 326947

====Original Post ==============================

Today I noticed that my passenger-side headrest had an ugly friction scar on it from rubbing against the Roll Bar. I had a tall passenger with me recently who reclined the seat fully and this happened in one day. Perhaps you should check your cars at your convenience and see if you might prevent it.
Attachment 326945

I’m surprised that BMW did not address this issue themselves.

Two goals here: one, prevent the problem from getting worse. I decided I need a sturdy, small spacer or pad between the seat and rear wall that enforced a gap between the HR and the RB so random passengers playing with the seat wouldn't make the problem worse.

I looked around a bit and found what I needed at Fry's. I amputated two black gel wrist pads from their neoprene mouse pads and mounted them with 3M auto-grade adhesive tape, centered below the RB.

In use:
Attachment 326944
The speakers are partially obscured, perhaps 20%, but the sound is undiminished and perhaps even louder as they now have an air gap to vibrate into rather than being pressed into the seat back.

Part two, patch/fix the HR temporarily while I I look into getting some upholstery repair and/or some leather coverings made for the seat backs. I used some dark grey fabric tape that camouflaged that ugly scar for a few weeks until I got the leather replaced, see top of post.

Attachment 326943

This post is reiterated on Z-forum.

Last edited by blender; 11-21-2012 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0