View Single Post
      03-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #53
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
I'm battling similar issue, and after driving in various other cars, I noticed the Z4 brake pedal travels a lot more than others before it grabs. We seem to have long travel progressive pedal.

I've raised my brake pedal almost 1/2 inch with padding to get around it. That is the only way I've found to give me just the right height for heal-toe on aggressive braking.

Otherwise, I would brake heavily and the right side of my foot would inadvertently start applying gas.

Anyone else notice Z4s have a long brake pedal travel (even with BBK??). Anyone find a way to reduce travel?
I've had this on and off with my 3.0si. Two causes so far were pad knock back due to a set of DS2500 pads in the front calipers that wouldn't stay clipped into the pocket in the caliper piston, and a set of AutoZone anti-rattle springs that were too thick and contacted the back of the brake pad pushing against the rotor. Rotors where the plane of the braking surface isn't on the same plane as the surface that mates with the hub can also cause knock back of the pads. Debris trapped between the rotor and the hub can also cause it.
If you've changed pads on your Z4 you've probably seen that it takes 3-4 full strokes of the brake pedal to move the pads into contact with the rotor. It doesn't take much knock back to cause a need for about 1/2 stroke to get the pads back in contact. The knock back can come from either the front calipers, the rear calipers or both.