View Single Post
      05-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #25
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
And the reasons you just listed are the reason why I find the 911 the most rewarding car to drive once youve mastered the layout of it. Plus once you do, the only place youll be seeing cars is in your rear mirror.
Walter Rohl raced a stock GT3 RS at the 24 hours of the ring this year, and came in 3rd in SP7 class, and 22nd overall...i doubt there is a single other car other car out there that could even finish. They are born and bred for the track.
I feel the Z4M is the best M car BMW has to offer here in the US, its a flat out amazing car that is a bit rough around the edges...which gives it a lot of character, but at the same time BMW could have put more time and effort into it to make it that much better of a car.
I also feel with the Cayman S, Porsche could at least strap on the 3.8 ltr Carrera/S tuned engine and put the final touch on the car...but then no car, maybe not even the GT3 could touch.
The GT3 is the only 911 I'd consider in the current lineup, everything else is targeted at the gold chain brigade. At about twice the list price of the Z4M, it isn't a competitor, more pushing close to Ferrari territory, definitely has stiff competition from the R8 V10 and GT-R, or even the Corvette ZR1 for that matter.

I'm sure if the Z4M had been refined more away from it's parts bin roots, it's list price would probably have been $10K to $20K higher due to the limited volume. I'm not sure there would have been any significant benefit and more refinement may actually be a detriment. You just have to look at the evolution between the E39 and E60 M5 to see how refinement and capability triumphed over rawness and fun in a sports sedan.
Appreciate 0