View Single Post
      08-05-2017, 01:57 AM   #8
wiliulfo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

StickMon - Thank you for pointing out the parts I'm missing...too bad they're like $250 each! Well, better start saving...

DC - you're absolutely correct. I had just checked my oil level and added about 1.5 quarts a few hours before your latest response. I still haven't had the chance to drive the car and see what effect, if any, this may have on the oil light issue.

Now, I'm going to sound like a dumb a$$ with this question, but I was wondering if what I inadvertently did several months ago may have affected my current oil pressure situation...

Like I mentioned above, I changed out the thermostat on my own about three months ago. After replacing the part, I took the car for a short test drive around my neighborhood...but the temp gauge quickly moved to red and about 30 seconds later I heard a "pop" come from underneath the hood. I tried as quickly as I could to pull over.

When I checked under the hood, I saw that one of the coolant hoses disconnected from the thermostat; causing the popping sound and causing coolant to splash everywhere.

I reconnected the hose, limped the car back home (about 2 blocks), and thereafter learned about how to "bleed" air out of the cooling system. After bleeding the system (running the AC while adding coolant) everything seemed fine. However, I have read that overheating the aluminum block on the M54 can be fatal at times.

Could this have contributed to my current oil pressure problem? And although slightly off topic, how would I know if I totally screwed up my engine?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0