View Single Post
      08-02-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiliulfo View Post
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty disappointed...

First off, thanks to those who responded to my post; I appreciate the input.

DC - in response to your post, the Valvoline folks used 5w30 and the oil was changed in about December 2016.

I've only put about 2,500 miles on the car in the nine months I've owned it and it seems like the light started flickering only after I replaced the thermostat and battery in May/June 2017.

Fast forward to last weekend when I got the car onto a lift at Your Dream Garage in Baldwin Park, CA. I was able to replace all three sensors (oil temp, oil pressure, and oil level), install a Mann filter, and add about 5.5 quarts of BMW-branded oil.

On the +/- 25 mile drive back home (avg speed 75 mph in 92-degree heat) the car felt great, and when I got off the freeway and came to a stop there was no oil light! When I got home, I even let the car idle at the curb in "D" for several minutes; again no flicker. (Picture #1)

I thought all was right with the world until I next drove the car this evening to grab dinner. About five miles from the house, while taking surface streets and not going above 45 mph, the flicker came back again.

So at this point, I suppose I'll have to take it to a mechanic to get checked out...like you said DC, I don't want to drive it until the issue is identified and addressed.

With that being said...does anyone know what diagnostics might be run or what diagnostic methods might be used? I'd hate to drop a lot of $$$$ for a mis-diagnosis only to have the oil light return...

FINALLY, it seems like it's 1 step forward and 2 steps backward with this car...like I said above, last weekend was the first time I had the car on a lift and the first time I was able to take a look underneath...

Seems like the PO really liked zip-ties and I was wondering if any of you know what was tied off (see pictures 2 and 3 below)?

Also, what exterior trim piece (Part #, maybe?) should go in that gap between the front of the wheel and rear of the bumper? Right now, there's nothing on either side...(picture #3)

- First picture is from last Saturday after getting home. No flicker, oil temp 118-degrees Fahrenheit;
- Second picture is the crap the PO zip-tied together; and
- Third picture is the gap between the front wheel and front bumper which is completely exposed.
Oil capacity on your M54 engine is 6.9 quarts (6.5 liters) so if you only refilled with 5.5 then you're below minimum. Likely not helping your oil situation. First thing your mechanic should do is connect an external oil pressure gauge and monitor what your actual pressure is reading.