View Single Post
      07-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
wiliulfo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Seeking Advice/Help - Red Oil Light Flicker

Good evening all,

I bought a 2003 E85 roadster last October that had 120k miles at the time.

Drove it from the PO's home in Las Vegas to my home in So. Cal with no issues. After running an OBD II scan, I found several fault codes which led me to replace a couple things. I also got the oil changed at a Valvoline Quick Stop shortly after the purchase.

Most recently, I replaced the thermostat and coolant about two months ago and then the battery at about the same time...

That's when my problem started...

While driving the car about 20 miles to a body shop last month (outside temp was probably mid-90's), the RED oil light started to flicker after getting off the freeway and coming to a stop. When I got the car moving again, the oil light turned off...

Ever since then, the RED oil light will flicker at a standstill at about 700 RPMs. This includes times when I've just cruised around my neighborhood in the evenings for about 20 minutes at a time (that is, in cool weather, with the car warmed up, and never going above 40 mph).

After trying to research the possible issue(s) with the M54 engine, it appears that there aren't many definitive answers about the RED light flicker...

Some say the sensors may be bad; other comments suggest a failed or failing oil pump.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is the easier/cheaper fix of sensors as opposed to the labor-intensive oil pump problem.

Presently, I've purchased the oil level sensor, the two sensors that are near the oil filter, and a DIY oil change kit with BMW oil from ECS tuning.

Before doing this job (replacing 3 sensors, oil, and filter), I wanted to ask the forum for any thoughts on sensors vs. oil pump, and about anything I should be aware of while doing this job.

Thank you!
~Will
Appreciate 0