BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerM3 View Post
I would not suggest installing a 4/5/6 point harness in a car that does not have
at least a half cage. In a roll over these belts may increase the risk of injury if
the roof collapses (they hold you in an upright position)
Some clarification: 5 and 6 pt require rollover support. A 4 point does not as it still allows you to submarine and will not hold you upright in your seat with the anti-sub straps. As per Scroth, a 4 (and likewise 5 and 6) point should not be installed with the type of seat Z4s have, as routing the 2 shoulder straps around the headrest of the stock seat allow you to "push through" through the two straps in a front collision.

Image on the top left of the 3rd page, subsection 2. You can see our seats most closely resemble the one all the way to the right. I'm not sure if mounting the outside shoulder strap through the bracket would help, but that would require removing the stock 3 pt belt and at that point your car is no longer street legal anyway.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Ra...structions.pdf

So to run just a harness bar, you should have a fixed back seat with a 4pt harness. To run 5 and 6 pt harness, you need rollover protection in addition to the harness mount and racing seat.

Also, most organizations require equivalency for passengers. This means that basically whatever the driver has, the passenger must have as well. I'm not sure if this rules out a racing seat with the stock 3pt for the driver, and the stock seat with the 3pt for the passenger. But for 4,5,6pt harnesses, the passenger has to have equal safety accommodations.

Edit: I was under the impression that removing the factory restraint system rendered the car illegal for street use, but it appears the Scroth Rallye 4pts have DOT approval (DOT FMVSS 209). So for people wanting to retain their streetability and street legality, a harness bar with DOT approved 4 pts and proper seating (for both driver and passenger) may be the way to go. Keep in mind the costs of replacing the passenger seat with a racing seat and not tampering with the SRS system...buying a new occupancy sensor ($$) or tearing into your passenger seat to reuse that one.

Last edited by BTM; 11-08-2011 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0