Thread: Z4 in snow
View Single Post
      11-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

I've lived in New Hampshire all my life. Here is my humble opinion, fwiw.
First, ALL road sand here in New England has salt mixed in. A pile of sand WITHOUT salt mixed in will gather water and freeze solid. Not good - ESPECIALLY if it is sitting in the back of a dump truck. It WILL eat your car alive.
Second - If you know how to drive in snow AND you have some common sense you can drive just about anything here. I owned a 1980 Mazda RX-7 that was my DD back in the late 80's. I did 40-50 thousand miles all over NH every year and managed quite fine. It was a similar car in stature, tho no where near the HP of the Zed M. I then owned a Subura XT with performance tires. Again, same profile but not the same power.
If you MUST drive your Zed in the winter up here, invest in a winter set of wheels & tires. The salt will eat your wheels, and eventually your car.
Finally, the "common sense" arguement. While you may have plenty, keep in mind that 75% of the other drivers DO NOT! I drive a 4WD SUV in the winter. It gives me GREAT traction in the snow. I get passed quite frequently in slippery snow showers by sedans just because they seem to do well when they are driving in a straght line. BUT.... keep in mind.... a front wheel drive car or a 4wd vehicle helps you get started in the snow, and it helps you keep traction at a higher speed in the snow. That means that the idiot who loses traction in a front wheel drive or a 4wd car/truck/suv is doing so at a higher speed than the rest of the cars around them! These are the people who are out driving on the highway beside you ALL WINTER LONG. Your driving may be fine, but these idiots can take you out in a heartbeat.
Good luck and welcome to New England. PM me in the spring & I'll be happy to point you to a bunch of our great driving roads.
Appreciate 0