View Single Post
      01-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #54
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Rob- Here is my lead tracker prior to bearing change.

kennyfrc- I understand your point Re: DE. But if you don't drive the car at its limits on a closed course, where will you if ever. And then it begs the question- why have such a car if you are driving in fear? Besides, if the engineers wanted you to shift at a lower RPM, they would have lowered the redline
At the S54's inception engineers pushed for a lower redline but, were outvoted by marketing guys. Irregardless of what engine you look at short shifting by 300-500RPM on the track greatly reduces wear.

When I owned a Mazda RX8 that I tracked S**T out of I saw this play out first hand. One guy in the club insisted that every shift be made at 9K RPM and to date has been through 5 engines. Another short shifted at 8000-8500 and now has 130K on his car(20K+ track miles) with the original motor! Both compete in NASA time trials, and the difference in their lap times is immeasurable.

I am by no means terrified to rev my car out to 8K under some circumstances on either on the the road or on track. I'm just saying that I don't see any gain in making sure I kiss the needle to red, every gear, every time. As long as my UOA keep coming back with lead at 0-1PPM this is the method I will continue to follow.

My only point here is that wear is greatly influenced by the driver.

Respectfully, KFRC

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0