2. K&N Drop In Filter
3. Shark Injector
4. Dinan Intake
5. RPI Scoop
6. VF Engineering Supercharger
7. Supersprint Race Exhaust
8. Supersprint Headers (Ceramic Coated)
9. 3.64 Final Drive
10. Bimmerworld's JB Racing Lightweight Flywheel / Clutchmasters Sprung Hub Organic Clutch
11. Tial QR Recirculating Bypass Valve

1. Cosmos Racing CAI
This was my first modification, and the only one I did for the first few years of owning the car. I bought this "cold air intake" off of Ebay, and it shows. Nothing was particularly bad about it, and it's a cheap way to get an intake growl. The CAI is basically a K&N with a cheap plastic "heat shield" that probably doesn't do much of anything. I doubt any engineering was put into it, and it's sold based on assumptions about what comprises a CAI. If I had to do it again, I would have gone for the Dinan or aFe right away. I ended up taking it off of the car because it amplified a whistle I had at part throttle, which I later found to be a vacuum leak on a cracked intake boot. I cannibalized the K&N for another project, so all that's left is the heat shield. If you want it, it's yours for $50! Pics of the heat shield:

2. K&N Drop In Filter
I noticed no real change in horsepower with the addition of a drop in filter. Having felt real changes in horsepower from other mods (like a supercharger or headers), most perceived changes are just your mind trying to justify the money that your heart just spent. A couple of horsepower won't be noticeable anywhere, and I'd just stick to the stock paper filter to avoid the risk of filter oil making its way onto your MAF sensor.

3. Shark Injector
Shark Injector Short Take
Shark + Headers
Shark vs Sport Mode
Shark Install

4. Dinan Intake
Dinan vs Other Options

I was happy with the Shark/Dinan Intake/RPI Scoop combo. If I had to keep the car naturally aspirated, I would have done them all again. I don't remember much change in sound. Dinan does engineer some good products, though there are better ones out there for less money. The intake requires modification to the stock airbox, though nothing too permanent. The only things included are various hardware, filter, and a new box top.

5. RPI Scoop

It's hard for me to say whether this mod made power, because I did it simultaneously with several other mods. While not the ideal way of modifying a car, it's what happens when you buy a bunch of parts on deployment and come back to install them all in a weekend. The red scoop was noticeable through the grills of the car, and it intrigued the curiosity of a few enthusiasts. Installation was easy, and I would do this mod again.

6. VF Engineering Supercharger
VF Engineering Supercharger Kit Full Review

7. Supersprint Race Exhaust
Supersprint Race Exhaust Review

8. Supersprint Headers (Ceramic Coated)
Supersprint Headers Review

9. 3.64 Final Drive
3.07-->3.64 Final Drive Review

10. Bimmerworld's JB Racing Lightweight Flywheel / Clutchmasters Sprung Hub Organic Clutch
Full Review - Bimmerworld's Lightweight Flywheel/Clutch Combo

11. Tial QR Recirculating Bypass Valve
Full Review - Tial QR Recirculating Bypass Valve

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo

Last edited by pokeybritches; 02-17-2015 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0