View Single Post
      07-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
ngceru
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

More hints the re-installation of Z4 top

Shipkiller's instructions were excellent without which I would not have able to repair my soft top. However, note a couple of other issues:
a. microswitch to advise the system when the pan is in the up/down position located in the luggage compartment on the vertical portion (a bracket with 2 screws):after I followed the instruction to remove the top, and the replace the motor, I redid all the steps to reinstall my top and lo and behold the orange light near the open/close switch was on and top did not move. After much commiseration I found a microswitch which has to be continuously pressed for the top to operate(it tells the system that the soft top is in the down position so as not to damage the top during retraction). I also found that I had a small clip that was left over and had no idea where its correct place was. I found that this clip works with the microswich as the pan rides up and down. During pan removal, it had been disloged and I had to reinstall it by removing the 2 screws, separating the electrical connections and working on the microswitch out of the car's confines. Success (after I oreiented the clip in the righ direction)

b. hoop on the bottom of the soft top: I had to use a little ingenuity in the reinstalltion as during the removal the hoop is squeezed and will not easily allow it to engabe the side brackets noted in shipkillers instructions (1 bracket on each side to hold the hoop in place). I used someone to push the hoop (if this is not done the bolt is too short to engage the treads) towards the bracket while I loosely installed a bolt closest to the end of the hoop. this procedure allowed the hoop ro be spread so that it would engage the bracket (similar procedure for the other side); and finally

c. the 4 "W" brackets to hol the soft top pan in place (shipkiller has photos of them in his instructions): the front 2 (one on each side are relatively easy to push down compared to the rear ones) but the rear 2 (towards the front of the car are impossible as the clips are dislodged as the pan is moved onto place - this also applies to the front ones): after much %&$#!, I found a way to increase my success rate. I placed the brackets loosely in place where they belonged(but not engaged in their opening) when the pan was out of the car, then I moved the pand in place and was able to reach in and push them in. Note that I had to reach in from the interior of the car for the 2 closest to the front of the car. The other two can be pushed in by reaching in from the top of the pan rear. I hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 0