View Single Post
      05-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
RedHairedTrev
Rep
Drives: z4

nickpapa, haha just when I thought I had somewhat of a handle on this car audio concept... Anyways, I'm still absorbing that info. I think the wiring is what is confusing me at this point. I'm going to try and put things together within the next couple of days.

hummarz, appreciate the offer, I will probably be callin you now instead of crutchfield hehe. Did any type of dashboard lights appear after your install? The dealer said that installing an aftermarket audio system will mess with the electrical system of the car... and can cause drastic problems. My name is Trevor if you didn't know.

I think I figured out my sub setup. I was going to run dual 10" 4 ohm subs powered by a 2-channel amp. I found out that route is very pricey (amp = 700-800). Instead, I am going to run dual 10" 2 ohm subs powered by a mono amp (amp = 260). The guy I spoke to from crutchfield said the ohm'age would match up (a concept I still don't quite understand). He also said I need to wire it a certain way (dunno that either). I listed the items on my grocery list below. If someone could go through the specs of each piece and let me know if there will be compatibility issues - i'd appreciate it.

Subs: http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_5...2D.html?tp=111

Amp: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...MRP-M1000.html

Granted I can find better pricing elsewhere, those sites list full product specs.

Question time,
Okay, nickpapa informed me on speaker wire... but what are the top brands and specs to look for? Link me?
If I am running a sub amp and a speaker amp... is there something I should check on with my head unit in regards to dual sub compatibility?
Can someone make a quick sketch of how my wiring will be just for my sub setup?
Are those "amp install kits" worth it? I think I want everything that comes with them... but do they chince out on certain wires (bait and switch). Could anyone recommend a good brand amp install kit IF they are worth it?

I know people are seeing my posts and just rolling their eyes - I am def a newb with car audio
Appreciate 0