View Single Post
      05-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHairedTrev View Post
Wow, that sketch is really making some things click.

I can't remember now if some of the speaker wires up by the kick panel extended underneath the glove box and towards the head unit. My factory amp is definitely not hooked up/running. There seems to be wires going into it, but that "amp" wire is not plugged into its associated port. I know for a fact only four speakers in the entire care are playing - I'm not exactly certain how they are being powered whether it be directly through the head unit or indirectly through the head unit.
i would think they are being connected directly from the headunit. this all depends on what audio system you had from the factory. if the stock audio system came with DSP, then the speakers are run directly to the headunit. if it was the standard audio system without DSP then you can run it through the stock amp. although you need to remember, the headunit only has 4 speakers to power so even if you did have the standard audio system, you would still only get 4 speakers working unless you added an additional amp to power the rest.

If I re-wired the car, what gauge wire would I need for the speakers if I want to cover my ass... maybe 12 gauge.What's a good brand? What is the gauge of the stock wire? Would the farthest that I have to run my speaker wires be to the front kick panel speakers?I really don't want to have to take the dash apart :-/
12 gauge is used for subs. you can go 16 for the speakers. or 14 but even that's a little overkill

What gauge wire would cover me and then some on dual 10" subs?

According to your diagram, I don't think I currently have a ground cable... do I just drill a hole into metal and contruct one? Is there a certain or preferred spot?
since you dont have an aftermarket amp, the diagram above doesn't pertain to your setup for the ground. the stock amp is grounded from the factory. if you added an aftermarket amp, then yes you would need to run a ground for it. since the battery is in the trunk, the easiest would be to run it to the negative side of the battery.

I guess I am going to need a new amp lead or remote wire for my head unit to communicate with my amp?
yeah on the back of the headunit the remote turn on is usually blue with a white stripe (or sometimes just blue). it might actually be labeled remote turn on. this can also be a 16 gauge wire.

One last thing, i did a search for wiring harnesses for my head unit (iva-d310) and this came up: http://www.uneeksupply.com/servlet/t...HARNESS/Detail

It said it is for the monitor... looks like the same type thing that is in my trunk next to my head unit's 'brain."
yeah that's what it looks like to me

The search also pulled up this harness as well: http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/uneek..._D310_D300_w17
this one looks more like the actual headunit harness (not the one that connects to the brain).

Are these the same wires as the ones in your diagram marked "Phono/RCA cable" ?
no, rca cables are what connects the amp to the headunit to transfer audio. you wont see rca ports on the stock amp, only on aftermarket.

Do I need to get new wiring harnesses and re-wire them?
probably not a bad idea since you're current setup is a bit confusing and sloppy. also since you want to put in some subs, which means you'll need an amp, you're probably better off re-wiring it all and starting fresh. this thread should help you if you go this route: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230947

Apologies for the bombardment of Q's... I'm trying to figure this out asap so I can purchase the right materials.
see my responses in bold
Appreciate 0