View Single Post
      12-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #19
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
From what I've READ, the veloster is a crappy driver's car with bad steering feel and overall enjoyment is low.
Well, if you believe everything you read, the MZ4 Coupe understeers like pigs and don't handle particularly well in comparison to its competitors.

The truth is the majority of people who write reviews for magazines and websites don't know how to drive. I've witnessed this on multiple occasions. The VAST majority of your every day automotive journalist would make it onto out "D for Life" list at our local BMWCCA HPDEs.

Is the Veloster a great handling platform? No. FWD and an economical torsion beam pivot in the rear means it's got some serious limitations. If this is a 2,800 lbs car with 200 HP and LSD? This would be a freakishly good and fun car to drive, comparable to the great Porsche Cayman in dynamics. But then it would have been a Toyobaru. But 2,800lbs and 200 HP on a FWD platform with open diff is still nothing to laugh at. An instructor friend and myself took a Veloster Turbo (not mine) up through Angeles Crest Highway, and honestly? In capable hands, the chassis is more than capable. And it WILL give most current bloated BMW platforms a run for its money.

Now, I'm not going to lie and say it's better than say, the MINI Cooper S. It's not. The MCS is still one of the best FWD on the market today. But for an ECONOBOX? It is pretty damn good, especially if you factor in all the features packed in the standard package.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0