View Single Post
      11-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Nice. Good to see that some car companies still value lightness.

I see you went with the turbo version. DCT or 6MT?

From the specs, looks like you get the full 195 ft lbs of torque from pretty low RPM (1,750). Don't know about the WRX, but the STI we had at one time (and swapped out for a Golf TDI) didn't have anything below 3K RPM. Great above that though, but I actually prefer the low-end torque for traffic or around town (TDI has a ton of low end torque).

Ian, I think The Hack is referring to the WRX (AWD) he swapped out for the Veloster (FWD).
6MT.

The single turbo on the Subaru doesn't kick in until roughly around 3,000 RPM too, and when it does...Watch the heck out.

The Veloster has a similar twin-scroll turbo design that BMW uses, and there's very little lag. You still feel it progressively building though.

I suspect, however, that they found a way to disable the turbo in 1st gear, since there appears to be a sensor that tells which manual gear it's in. It's weird, it doesn't feel like there's boost in 1st, and I can sort of feel the subtle difference in 2nd and on. Like 1st gear doesn't pull hard enough or something.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0