09-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #259
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
would be nice if ess offered us an updated tune like they reguarly do for the m3 kits, i think im going to do some data logs and get them over to ess to see if we can tweak the tune alittle, a mid to high 11 tune all the way through the power band would be lovely... then meth/water would take this down to a low 11, prettty much what the tune does now.
While I would also be thrilled with a tune that has a "baseline" optimized for water/meth, keep in mind that our engine management setup and tune is heavily driven by the wideband oxygen sensors. Adding water/meth will richen the mixture, sure; but the O2s will sense this, and the ECU will make adjustments to dial in the AFRs that ESS has set in the tune. In light of this I would expect there to be an "adaptation" phase after installing the water/meth kit during which the power gain should increase slightly while the ECU re-optimizes the AFRs. It could also be an interesting idea to run less meth than 50%; most of the benefits of running water/meth actually come from the water, so if you're using a small nozzle and aren't going to quench combustion, running more water could be cheaper, more beneficial, and have less impact on AFRs.
Appreciate 0