Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
The case of the Mustang, like the Camaro, MG, Jaguar E-type, and Porsche 911, is different. While tons of each car were made, they're icons of their time periods, part of their generation's zeitgeist. Demand outstrips supply because no matter how many were made, still more people want one.

The Z4 hasn't had remotely the same cultural impact. Saying it has the same chance of appreciating is like saying the Laura San Giancomo's role in "Pretty Woman" was as important as Julia Roberts'.
I personally do agree with epbrown ^ that these cars were iconic. & getting into 'Iconic' and whether it defines a cars collectibility is another debate too. To Nates point above, Does 'Iconic' automatically = 'Collectors item' or valuable or desireable? I agree with him, I think not always.

Those cars are iconic because of the widespread fondness - and it helped that most of them were more attainable to the greater population. There are also plenty of Iconic mustangs to go around, but the supply keeps the value down except for the rarest of them. The E-Type is also Iconic but its limited numbers made it more Collectible than most mustangs except the rare ones.

IMO too, The Z4 is not iconic. It is the modern day result stemming from other icons. Hence it has become a cult car, that COULD become a collectible, although yes to your point - it probably doesn't have the same chance of this that the Jag E-type did. I think the z4 is the END of a chapter as noted above by dekaliber. Icons tend to be the beginning of a NEW chapter.

It helps to be a rare car.
It helps to be an Iconic car.
It helps to be a cult car.
It helps to be a storied car.
But None of theses elements solely or combined will gaurentee a cars future status as a collectors item.

Last edited by gtMc; 04-15-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0