View Single Post
      04-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #32
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Completely agree man. The Z4 was NEVER popular when it was originally sold. Sure the M version is a bit hotter now since the true NA M cars are a thing of the past, but the 911's, Mustangs and Cameros of the era were popular then and have remained popular with the curve rising as time goes on. I suppose the Z4 could attain collector status, but it is far from assured at this point.
Some of the least popular cars of their time are also the most collectible. Rarity increases value and sometimes a car is simply ahead of its time. I think you guys are just getting hung up on the word 'collectible'. By itself it doesn't imply any sort of greatness or huge multiples of original value. It simply means people will still be interested in these cars 30 or 40 years from now and willing to buy and maintain them. Seriously, go to an auction and see if you can even identify half of the cars there. Theres nothing terribly iconic about an old Biscayne or Javelin, but again, there is a market for them and always will be. Not everyone can afford a '69 911S, thats why theres a market for cars like my '74. Everybody gets to play regardless of wallet size.

Just my .02c as someone who avidly follows the collector car market and yes, epbrown agree to disagree.
Appreciate 0