11-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

The guy that got me hooked on cars.....

....my Ol' Man.

I remember vividly the times looking over his shoulder as a kid as he tinkered in the driveway.
He would point out something under the hood and ask "do you know what that is?"
Invariably the answer was "no" and he would explain in great length what it was and what it did.
The next time he would point out something new, but before he would tell me what it was, he would quiz me on what he explained before.

This went on until I perfected his quizzing well enough that he actually let me help him turn a wrench.
I still remember the first thing I ever did on a car (with Dad) was change a set of plugs, points & condenser and set the timing.

A few years later Dad bought his first new car, a cream coloured '58 Buick Special.
I can still see him the day he brought that car home & how proud he was to own that car.
As chance would have it, Dad held true to form & got into a minor fender bender within the first month.
After the repairs, the car had this intermittent steel on steel (like chalk on the board) squeak.
After getting frustrated with it himself, he took it in several times to get it fixed without any success.... It drove him nuts.

So.... I decided to have a look on my own.
After crawling around under the car for an hour or so (a skinny 8yr old kid could actually fit under a car in those days)
It was pure shit luck that I saw a cracked weld on the frame.

I don't think I've ever seen my Dad happier & felt so proud to be his son as I did that day!

& that's how I'll always remember him.
....Dad passed away last night in his 93rd year.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0