View Single Post
      11-19-2020, 03:12 PM   #7
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I think it needs to be recognized that the e85 Z4 was designed around the turn of the millennia while the NC Miata is a newer designed car. I believe both are electric steering.

It's hard to fault a Miata in the handling department on public roads. There's a reason why there are so many of these little Mazdas around. I've drive a few NCs in the past. They are good driving vehicles. It's a no-fuss jump in and drive roadster. And you are right, it is a bit more civilized on public roads. NVH is commendable being an open top especially for its price.

The 3.0l Z4's chunkier tires may contribute to road noise. RFT tech has improved to the point that modern RFTs don't generate a lot more dbs than regular tires. They are still harsher on undulated pavements. That's to do with the reinforced sidewall structure.
The 986 Boxster puts on a clinic for the Z4 when it comes to handling. It's like a big go-kart. The little Porsche is a revelation when it comes to taking on a set of black ribbons. It provides a very satisfying drive around technical B-grade roads. I can attack sets of switch backs with the Boxster that I dare not with the Z4. Alas, I cannot come to terms with a hidden engine compartment.

If road noise is really the only issue, just swap for A/S Touring tires. They don't grip as well but are sure quiet. In terms of overall cabin noise, I think that's part of the top-down package isn't it?
Appreciate 0