04-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #247
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Whatever the reason for grinding 1->2 is (and I'm pretty shure I know what the reason is), it's absolutely impossible that it's from twisting of the engine in relation to the gearbox. And 3->2 denial is driver error; not using the feedback from the stick and just yanking it in a place where the gear simply isn't located.
Again, two separate issues here. 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 2nd.

For 3rd to 2nd, the gate is located to the left of the furthest point of the shifter travel under high load and lateral G. That means it's not accessible. A shift gate that moves to another country and can't be found doesn't equal driver error, it's drivetrain torsion/slop due to inadequate mounts. It's a design flaw. One that can be remedied with proper mounts.

For 1st to 2nd, yes, it may be a syncho problem, it may not. Have you seen the ancient threads from about 4-5 years ago on this? (About 8 of them, here's one.)

The question we need to answer is why does pulling the shift level down and to the left eliminate the grind in many cases? I've never had the car grind once after I started doing that, and had it grind twice before I used that method. Did the synchos repair themselves, or did the mechanical action of pulling to the left affect something? If pulling left helps (and it does), and if the issue occurs under high load high RPM (it does), then isn't it just possible--however unlikely--that torsion due to load is somehow affecting the linkage/shifter/transmission?

There have been those folks who, despite trying the "pull left" approach continued to have issues. Some had their transmissions replaced under warranty, which "fixed" the issue. So, in some cases, yes, synchros. In others, well, clearly not the case since synchros issues don't get better over time, and pulling left didn't repair them.
Appreciate 0