View Single Post
      01-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #54
emv
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i '04

Aux Input Problem

Hey!

First time poster here Glad to be part of such a great forum!

I read through a bunch of articles about installing the auxiliary input on your own and wanted to do the same. I recently installed an XM radio and wanted to connect it to my factory headunit through an auxiliary input.

So today I went and picked up one from a local BMW dealership. Followed the steps on this forum and ran into a big problem. I'm hoping someone here will know what the problem is!

INFO:
- '04 BMW Z4 3.0i w/ Business CD - DSP (premium audio, no nav).
- Aux Input from BMW dealer (coin/ashtray version).

ISSUE:
- When the aux cable from my XM radio isn't plugged in the AUX mode shows up.
- When the aux cable is touching the aux input I can hear the audio from the XM radio coming through the right side speakers.
- When the aux cable is pushed all the way in the aux input I can hear everything perfect like it should be but only for a split second then the HU will switch to the radio.
- If the aux cable is push all the way in the aux input it makes the AUX mode become unavailable.

Things I've noticed:
- If the XM radio's power lighter plug isn't on then the AUX mode will show up if the aux cable is all the way in like it should be.
- Turning off the HU's DSP has no effect on the AUX mode working correctly or not.
- Turning the volume down when plugging in the aux cable in has no effect.
- Turning the input level down on the XM radio has no effect.

I have no idea what might be causing the problem other than a possible faulty AUX Input cable or HU... That doesn't seem very logical though.

Please help! I'd be very much greatful!

-I'll be calling the BMW service center tomorrow.
Appreciate 0