View Single Post
      08-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabun View Post
How's the diesel motor on the track? The low-end torque must be fun...
The two track days I had in the Diesel happened at Laguna Seca during the one time where it rained and hailed nearly non-stop for the two full days. Track was wet and miserable, and worst of all, not conducive to high torque adventures. I ended up leaving the car in 4th gear and leaving traction control on because every time i come across turn 3 it wants to swap ends. Bad. With the minimum application of throttle.

There were standing water at 3, 5, 6, and 10 throughout the day, and sometimes what I would describe as RIVERS running through those corners. Otherwise, when relatively dry, I was able to keep up with E9X M3s and FXX M3 and M4s easily on the straights.

In the turns, not so much. Not with 4,xxx lbs and a 5,000RPM redline and an insanely tall gearset.

I also took the diesel to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway, again, because it was raining (OMG what is this wet stuff falling from the sky?!) but the 2nd day was dry so I had some more fun, but CVR rewards light, nimble cars more than the torque monster that the 335D is. But you sure can't beat the fact that you can fill up at home, drive 3 hours to CVR, drive 3-4 sessions per day for two days, and still have enough diesel to get home.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0