SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
The "Critical Moment Detector" triggered.
All machines have them.
Especially cars, printers, and copiers.
Like when my Wife's Suburban wouldn't start and I had to take my Son to school.
By this time we were running late, so my car went into limp mode 1/2 way there.
Not for any good reason. It knew we were late and the truck was out of service, so it just wanted to mess with me.
Hahaha! I've had lots of "Critical Moment Detectors" lately, all within about a 10 day period!

First, we opened the freezer door one morning on our side-by-side and ice dumped out all over the inside of the freezer and the kitchen floor. I got a bucket and dumped all the excess ice into the bucket, checked the sensors, they seemed OK, so I chalked that up to a fluke. The next day, same thing, so I turned off the ice maker. Next day, same thing, OK, something's broken and I called for a repair. Guy came out, replaced both the emitter and receptor, charged us the standard $60 charge under our recent home warranty plan, and it's been fine. (We bought the 12-month Sears Home Warranty earlier in the year because it was going to cost the same as replacing the faulty control pad on our wall-mount oven and that would also be covered. I guess it paid for itself!)

About the same time, during a recent heat wave with temps in the 90s and over 100, the blower fan on the furnace wouldn't come on when the A/C compressor kicked on. I moved the fan switch from Auto to On, and it didn't come on. I then removed the furnace panel, reached in, and the fan spun freely indicating that nothing was binding and preventing it from turning. I set the temp down so the A/C compressor would come on, set the fan to On, then gave the fan a good spin and immediately put the panel in place, depressing the safety override switch. It worked! We left the fan on for a week before someone could come out and replace an $8.75 capacitor, and charged $100 to do that.

The day after the ice maker got repaired, my wife helped me wash my car on a Saturday night for a cruise the next day. Between the time we went out to wash the car and came back in, there was water on the kitchen floor. We checked the ice maker, it looked ok, pulled out the refrigerator and checked the ice maker water line, and it was apparent that it wasn't coming from the refrigerator. The water was at the baseboard behind the refrigerator and at the baseboard of the pantry on the other side of the wall between the refrigerator and the pantry. I went out and turned off the water, opened all of the faucets in the house, and opened the outside spigot on the lowest side of the house to drain all the water out of the pipes. On Monday a plumber came out, punched a whole in the wall behind the refrigerator, and suspected a slab leak (it's been happening in our neighborhood over the last few years.) He said he had to call a hydro guy to find the leak. Hydro guy comes over a couple of hours later, hooks up his sensor and determines that the leak is coming from the wall between the refrigerator cubby and the pantry. He punches a hole in the wall in the pantry, near the baseboard, finds a manifold, and determines that the leak is coming from higher in the wall. He sees a pipe going upstairs, determines it's the toilet supply line, so he goes up to the master bath and punches a hole in the wall by the toilet shutoff valve. Nope, not there, so he goes back down to the pantry and punches another hole in the same wall, up by the ceiling. There's two small pinhole leaks in the pipe, spraying water onto the stud next to it, and it's going down the stud to be baseboard. We turn off the water again, he calls the plumber, plumber comes out the next morning and replaces that section of pipe. No more leak. At least it wasn't a slab leak! A pain in the ass without water though! At least I got my car washed!

It was the day after that I went to the smog station. FML!

Appreciate 0