View Single Post
      07-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I posted on the Facebook page for our local BMW CCA page and someone mentioned Torque and an ODBII adapter. Duh! I've got an OBDLink LX that I bought a couple of years ago and forgot about it! I have Torque on my phone!

I hooked it up and ran Torque and it's reporting P1449 [BMW] Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage (DM-TL) Pump Too High. I have a tentative appointment at a local BMW indie shop tomorrow morning.

I've done some Googling and it looks the DMTL pump may need to be replaced. It looks like it's a common part and very easy to replace (at least on non-Z4 models). Going to do some more research and find something more Z4 M specific. I can probably do it myself.

EDIT: Apparently not so easy to replace on a Z4. Pelican Parts indicates that you have to either remove the rear bumper or the muffler to access the charcoal canister which has to be removed as the DMTL pump is inside the charcoal canister. If had time to get the car smogged a couple of weeks ago, I probably wouldn't have to deal with this or I would have had plenty of time to do it myself. Since my registration is due Friday, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and have the indie shop do it tomorrow.
The DMTL pump plugs into the forward end of the charcoal canister but you can reach it by removing the right rear wheel and partially removing the fender well liner. You don't have to remove the bumper cover or the muffler. Also, the pump is made by Bosch and you can buy the BMW part number marked part or you can buy the Bosch part number for $65 from FCP Euro. They're the exact same part. The photo shows the pump that came off my car and the Bosch replacement from FCP.
Attached Images

Last edited by dc_wright; 07-05-2016 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 3