03-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #21
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
I don't think you necessarily need a tuner shop to do install the gears, rather you just need someone who's experienced setting up differentials. All differentials are basically the same, regardless if it's GM, BMW, Nissan, or Bugatti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
As for the diff. Find a good diff builder. Doesn't have to be bmw or any brand. Just look around until you find a diff builder with stellar ratings, even if you have to travel. Best most cost effective way of doing this mod is to buy the gear and pinion and have it installed in your own diff, but you need an excellent diff builder.
Look around for offroading / hot rodding / etc. as they tend to do this kind of work. Look at this thread for more details.
Thanks, guys. And if anyone happens to know of such a shop in the Portland or Seattle areas, let me know! I know we've got a lot of off-road enthusiasts here, so maybe I'll figure out where they go...

Beta, I understand what you're saying about the mod, and that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Looking at the thread you linked, I realize that you literally just installed your 3.91 last month? Any updates since then? Have you made it through the break-in period and had some fun?
Appreciate 0