02-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #15
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Based on what? Having one fail without oil also doesn't prove anything besides some fail regardless of what you do.

Not trying to be a jerk in this thread but I read so many different things presented as fact and most of the time can't tell if it is really based on a study/data or just someone's opinion. Nothing wrong with people's opinions just would like to know.
I thought they did a good job on the K&N videos of explaining most MAF failures and their testing procedures. However, we have a hot wire MAF sensor, and I don't know if they specifically tested those. They did make a reference to hot wire sensors being the most prone to damage. BTW, the wire on our MAF sensor that is visible is not the hot wire -- it's inside the plastic housing. They dipped the other kind of MAF sensor in oil, and it still worked, but I am confident that would not work on our hot wire style MAF sensor. If oil coats the hot wire in our sensor, I believe it would cause problems.

But one thing I found interesting is that when K&N measured the airflow across the filter, even at very high throttle, it was something like 12 MPH. Most of the time, it was 1-3 MPH. Keep in mind, this involves surface area, so a small volume of air is being drawn across the entire surface area which results in very fast air speed once it is reduced and drawn into the engine, but it is the air speed on the surface of the filter that would have any potential of drawing oil off the filter and fouling the MAF hot wire in our cars.

At any rate, I guess I'll see, because I'm running a K&N pre-oiled filter in the Gruppe-M intake. I'll check for oil past the filter after a few months.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0