Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Based on what? Having one fail without oil also doesn't prove anything besides some fail regardless of what you do.

Not trying to be a jerk in this thread but I read so many different things presented as fact and most of the time can't tell if it is really based on a study/data or just someone's opinion. Nothing wrong with people's opinions just would like to know.
What I do is learn how things work and draw my own conclusions. I'm not implying you don't already have good knowledge of the car... only that you will get a lot of opinions on the forums, and knowing how <part> functions will help you separate fact from myth.

Fact - oil on the MAF wiring will affect readings, and an inaccurate MAF sensor will cause engine problems. I can't see how that can be argued, but I've got an open mind and I'm listening...

Opinion - I can see likelihood and severity being debated. From personal experience I think it's unlikely oil will get onto the MAF sensor, as in somebody knows somebody whose brother had it happen to him. And who's to say the guy didn't ignore the instructions and spray the oil onto the filter with it still on the car, and use way too much. As far as severity is concerned, yeah, I can see oil damaging the sensor due to a chemical reaction over time (not my **** of expertise so I would have to look up a few things, but it sounds like other guys on here already know this stuff); or from maxing out the MAF's range (I'm not sure what the specific heat of the K&N oil is, but water is about 4 times air, and oils are usually 1.5-2 times air). FWIW, my non-M's MAF failed shortly after I oriented it incorrectly during my supercharger install, but I haven't concluded that running with the MAF sensor maxed out causes any damage to it. It could have been age, mileage, anything really...

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0