View Single Post
      04-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #70
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Bump!

My HVAC gears were crunching about a year ago and instead of ordering the parts I just set it to full open and pulled the white one out.

I finally got around to buying the parts and spent the better part of 2 hours today fighting with the gears and that dumb little actuator while laying upside down under the dash. The lock tab on the new black gear broke off immediately on installing it on the shaft so I re-used the old one. Needless to say after finally getting it all back together and verifying it was set correctly the black gear/lever sheared a couple teeth and I was right back at square one. $50 down the drain. Couple questions for the day I eventually decide to take another shot at fixing this...

1: what is the best way to access this shit? Laying under the dash is near impossible for me, maybe it's my height but no matter how I was under there my arms are twisted and jammed into stuff. I can barely move. Removing the glovebox looks to be a job all its own.

2: why does BMW insist on using cheap garbage plastics in such ludicrous situations?! Absolutely infuriating to have such awful materials in so many hard to access places.

Appreciate 0