Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
so whats the best way to go here?

Josh, are you gonna pull the starter first? I think i can rule out the ignition switch on mine as i would think if its the ignition switch, it would start, then not start, then start, then not.. etc.. not just no start what so ever in one go….

when i get back from Spain, ill pull the starter and replace.. my air box and other crap needs to come out anyways… first ill get some jumper cables though and see if an extra batt makes any difference.. (doubtful as i put in a new batt) luckily i have a few days off.
The problem I had with mine was that the ignition switch interupted the start sequence by disengaging the starter wheel from the flywheel before the engine had started and causing a terrible grinding sound. The symptom rarely happened in the summer, but in the spring and autumn when it was colder and more moist it happened more frequently for some reason.

If I were to do it again, being a little wiser (hopefully ) I would check the battery first (I replaced mine since it was getting old anyways). After that I would replace the ignition switch since it's a reasonably priced part before replacing/refurbishing the starter. But that's just me.
Appreciate 0