View Single Post
      11-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN34 View Post
So after 20k on the ESS kit, he had to replace almost all components? Something broke? or it's regular maintenance stuff? or ? How much did he spent for the replacement?

I'll probably go supercharger route when my warranty is out next year. Just trying to gauge the cost/maintenance/reliability after the kit is installed..

TIA,
Nah, he just did it to help with the sale. Supercharger components are actually pretty inexpensive. You can probably replace the whole thing for a couple hundred bucks (assuming you get them from the original manufacturers). The first time around most of the money you're spending goes toward the engineering involved in designed that exact set up, not the components themselves.

There's a near linear relationship between how high you spin a supercharger and its life. Of course, this depends on a variety of things like boost, supercharger size, etc. I'd guess the supercharger will last anywhere from 25-50k depending on the design. Like I said, it's really not expensive to replace supercharger components. The previous owner threw in practically 2/3 of what I needed to make a new one. You should probably be more worried about what the tune is doing to the engine (is it running lean/rich, how are the internals holding up, etc.). However, with the M54 is a pretty stout engine. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Appreciate 0