View Single Post
      07-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #24
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Beedub, thanks for the idle video! I am flabbergasted at just how serene the operation of your motor is! I can only hope my kit will stabilize to that point after the new crank pulley is installed.

cliffhopper, maybe I will go out to Mfest and we can meet up there? Did you have any plans to go?

Updates based on my extensive drive time with the car today (almost 500 miles):
- Confirmed that oil temperatures are slightly higher than stock despite the enlarged oil cooler--even in 60-70ºF weather. Difference is probably +20ºF. It used to be quite rare to see the car hit 210º oil temp (center point on US gauge), but it now commonly likes to operate around there. Fortunately, it does not climb much higher than that even when pushed.
- Pulls like hell on the highway, despite the lower boost. I may or may not have done a few pulls to 140-150... At ~70-80 in 6th, the car is extremely eager to GO with just millimeters additional throttle application.
- The S/C was still rattling like a bucket of bolts halfway down, with at least ~350 miles on it. I didn't get a good listen before shutting down tonight. Hope it quiets down soon.
- The tune is still struggling on part-throttle deceleration. It's starting to get frustrating and a bit disconcerting, because it's a real downer to feel one's machine jerking the drivetrain and emit pops in the exhaust during such normal and somewhat difficult-to-avoid driving situations. I've done everything I can to help the DME train, including use cruise control and setting various RPMs to give it time to watch the O2s.
- The BPV still whistles very annoyingly at its tipping point. With the windows down you can tell just how loud it is; it's annoying inside the car with them up, but with them down, it's just embarrassing and makes you sorry for any bystanders...quite a terrible, ricey screech that no one would identify with performance, only a broken car. A slight throttle change will make it go away, but it's constantly getting in the way especially on surface streets.

My girlfriend took a couple acceleration videos from the passenger seat, but since she stuck the camera out the window, wind noise almost immediately overwhelms the camera's microphone. Only one video is worth anything, and that's not much--just a couple seconds of glory in 1st gear. It's hardly worth posting, but I know some people are eager for more!

Last edited by iPhoneEngineer; 07-17-2011 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0