gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
I have never seen my oil temp get over 220F even under very spirited driving in 110F weather. Under what conditions are you able to achieve such high temps?
I actually wondered the same. I could see the elevated temps in an autocross, where the engine is working very hard doing very short, relatively slow runs, so you are minimizing the air flow through the oil cooler and having the engine heatsoak somewhat between runs.

At VIR and Summit Point raceways, even in 97' temps, I have never seen anything over 210, and normally the car runs at 200-205'. Now that I have changed my oil from TWS, I am seeing 10' less.

My first thought is that if you are seeing over 220' on the track, then something minor is wrong. Of course I could be missing some variable.

I was seeing > 250 in the SC summer at the end of a 30 min PCA advanced group session . Of course being supercharged contributed , but the biggest factor is how you are driving your car , the length of the session , and track design. I was wringing out every last rpm to keep up with track prepped GT3 RS's . The cooling system of our cars is better than the E46M3 ( 2 extra oil cooler rows) but it does have its limits for true track work, thus my need to upgrade whether supercharged or not .
Appreciate 0