View Single Post
      02-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaconley View Post
Hello. I have a 2007 E86 with two issues that I need your help on that are related to the suspension. The car has 48k miles on it. It also has Vorshlag adjustable camber plates (about 20k old) and a front strut bar. Everything else is stock.

1) When I drive over dips in the road (potholes, or drops between sections of pavement) I hear a sharp knocking noise. The best I can tell is this occurs when the wheel drops from one level to a lower level in the pavement. The noise does not occur on rising travel. I looked under the car, and everything seems solid, and the FCAB bushings do not look cracked. Could something have got loose within the camber plates after driving on them in city streets over a couple years?

2) And maybe it is just me getting older, but the car seems to be riding rougher lately. Even the slightest gaps in the pavement transmit through the car, to my seat and back. It's getting to the point where I just don't like to drive the car anymore unless it is on the smoothest pavement. Could it be that I need to replace all the suspension bushing on the car? I know that when rubber ages, it loses some of its elasticity. I also know that when I replaced the stock camber plates with the Vorshalgs, I expected some NVH, but it seems to be worse now. Should I be replacing the bushings on a 48k mile, eight year old car?

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.
Might be the nut on the top of one of the strut assemblies has loosened a bit. That will definitely give you the knocking noise you describe.